Monday, March 2, 2009

Reviews, finally

New Avengers #50

"Just stop saying Skrull. I'm sick of the word." - Immortal Iron Fist Danny Rand

I just started reading New Avengers when I picked up 48 and 49 at NYCC, but I've been excited about this issue ever since I saw it in Previews a few months back. Knowing that Dark Reign just started, I was surprised Bendis was going to have the Dark and New Avengers butt heads so quickly. With this issue we get thrown a nice curve ball so while I didn't get what I was excited I was entertained none-the-less.

Bendis' writing is what you have come to expect, witty dialogue between Avengers standing around somewhere. In the big fight scene though instead of one-liners from Avenger to Avenger we get eight pages of internal monologue each featuring a member or two of the team, except Iron Fist who gets a page even though he left the group, and since it is a big anniversary issue a guest artist too. In terms of writing and art the Spider-Man page [McNiven] and the Wolverine page [Lenil Yu] were my personal favorites. 

At the end of the big battle someone steps up to take on Osborn in a nonphysical manner, and it is seeming like this character may become the new star of the book. I liked the idea of Osborn coming to power by manipulating the media, so I am glad to see the New Avengers using the media to their benefit also. Fans of Bendis' Daredevil run are well aware of how he can make the media an important background character in a storyline. All in all an excellent anniversary style issue, I just wish I was more excited about the upcoming Dr. Strange storyline.

Superman #685

As an undergraduate student in college before writing a paper I would jot down a ton of ideas, walk away fora  couple hours, and then clean everything up. Lately the Superman books have been reading more and more like those big messy Word Documents of ideas. 

I suppose it also doesn't help that anybody living somewhere besides under a rock knows Superman will be leaving Earth for New Krypton, so reading about him mulling over the decision is already less exciting right off the bat. Having said all that, this issue is far from awful and far from good, it is just kind of there which is arguably worse than it being down right awful. Similarly, the art evokes no real emotion until the Origins and Omens back-up which is drawn by Raimondi whose pencil work I particular enjoy. 

Sadly, if all these ideas being thrown around and set up in the Super-books over the past few months don't pay dividends within the first two or three months of the new status quo I will be turning my back on them like Superman turned his back on Earth.

Captain America #47

No Epting on this issue makes me sad, but D'Amarta does such a good job with the coloring the difference isn't nearly as jarring as it could have been. Art wise nothing else to say so on with the writing and story.

As the second part of a three part story this issue does a nice job of advancing things along while still keeping me interested in the overall narrative. Getting to see Bucky and Natasha blow a bunch of stuff up always helps out too. Aside from bad-ass explosions what I have been enjoying is the ensemble cast work of this book, and while many fans have been going ape-shit over Brubaker's Namor my favorite is still Black Widow. And what appears to be coming up next for her when the this arc wraps up, HOLY SHIT. Hopefully everyone who had been reading throughout the epic Death of Captain America saga stuck with this book because while the story has switched gears its still cruising right along.

Green Lantern #38

Another solid issue, but probably my least favorite of the four part arc. Part of me was annoyed when Hal got the Red Lantern ring because we all knew it wouldn't last, and of course it didn't. Hopefully what happens to Hal in this issue actually sticks around long enough to make it interesting because being introduced to a new Corp then seeing Hal quickly join and exit it would get old and annoying fast. Like everyone else I am extremely excited for Blackest Night and I would hate to see Green Lantern limp towards the start of what should be an excellent event, so hopefully the Agent Orange arc keeps things at a high level. 

Other things:

So sadly I didn't have time to record a second podcast, but with hopefully an easier week at work this week I might be able to put something together that covers three weeks worth of books.

I have tickets to see Watchmen at midnight, so expect immediate reactions on here afterwards with possibly a longer review in the future.

Take care.

- Jesse


No comments:

Post a Comment